What is infertility?
Infertility is a condition when a woman is unable to get conceive even after a unprotected sex for almost a year or more. Infertility is a condition that happens to both partners and there are many factors that are involved that prevent pregnancy.
FACTORS THAT CONTRIBUTE TO INFERTILITY IN WOMAN:
- Age is a determining factor that affects the rate of fertility in most women. The female when they reach above 30’s the quality and quantity of eggs in ovaries decline increases the chances of miscarriage and chromosomal abnormalities.
- Heavy smoking increases the chances of babies getting leukaemia.
- A woman who is exposed to other people’s smoke resulting in loss of eggs also increases the chances of premature birth defects i.e. low birth weight, ovaries abnormality in girls, diabetes, obesity and cardiovascular disease. It may also increase the chances of ectopic pregnancy where the foetus starts to develop outside the uterus.
- Obesity and underweight both affect your chances of getting pregnant. If you are obese your fat cell If you are underweight estrogen stops to make that difficult in releasing eggs and irregular menstrual periods.
- Unprotected sex and sexually transmitted diseases increase the chances of infertility. Chlamydia and gonorrhoea are the main cause of fallopian tubes, uterus damage causes irreversible damage and results in infertility because if fallopian tube damage it prevents the sperm from reaching the egg or also prevents the fertilised egg from entering the uterus.
How to overcome infertility naturally?
- Higher intake of folate rich diets help to increase the rate of conception. Food rich in antioxidants vitamin C, E , Folate and lutein
- Eating healthy fat food avoids trans fat food and increases the rate of infertility. take food cooked with vegetable unsaturated fat that increases the chances of conception.
- If you have PCOS then move to low carbs food because weight gain is a main factor that increases insulin resistance which ultimately leads to conception issues. Low carbs diets maintain a healthy weight and menstrual cycle.
- Add more fibres in your diet help to maintain sugar level that remove excess oestrogen and increase fertility problems
- Eating more plant protein sources rather than animal protein sources increases the chances of conception.
- Taking multivitamins, especially folate, helps to increase chances of pregnancy.
- Physical fitness is important for health and has a positive effect on fertility. Exercise boosts your metabolism and maintains hormonal imbalance.
- Don’t stress yourself too much. Relax your mind in a calm environment to reduce anxiety and depression and help to increase chances of conception.
- Don’t consume too much caffeine in pregnancy it increase the chances of miscarriage as it interfere with placenta.
- Iron tablets should be taken before conception especially plant based and non heme iron products that decrease the risk of ovulatory infertility.
- Alcohol consumption might lead to infertility issues that affect sperm motility and quantity that will result in difficulty in conception.
Vitamins essential to boost fertility:
Vitamins are essential in maintaining various functions in female:
Egg maturation and quality
Maintain immune function
Regulate thyroid function
Acetyl L- Carnitine: it is an amino acid to help maintain sperm health and also promote fertility in females and also improve problems like PCOS, endometriosis and amenorrhea.
VITAMIN B other than folate claimed to maintain the ovulation cycle and boost sperm quality as well.
VITAMIN E helps to maintain the reproductive system of females and increase sperm motility because it has antioxidant properties that promote function of sperm and reproductive system.
Ovulatory infertility is mainly associated with iron deficiency. Take more iron supplements to decrease the risk of ovulatory infertility.
Selenium constitutes an important mineral that helps to maintain follicular fluid surrounding women’s eggs but also to improve semen quality and quantity.
What causes poor fertility?
Pesticides , exposure to toxins , smoking, bad eating habits and lack of physical activity.
SIGNS OF FERTILITY:
- The length of your menstrual cycle is determine how much fertile you are
- When you are ovulating actively your vaginal discharge becomes clear, stretchy similar to egg white means the potential sign of fertility.
- Your sexual desire increase before ovulation due to increase level of hormone estrogen and testosterone. It’s a healthy sign that you are fertile.
- Women’s sense of smell becomes sharper when they reach an ovulating stage.
- Your cervix becomes more open, softer when you are close to ovulation.
- Your breasts become sore, achy and become heavier and fuller this means an increase in progesterone and it is a sign of fertility.
Can folic acid improve egg quality?
Folic acid helps to improve the environment for the developing egg ideal for healthy pregnancy.
At what time do you become most fertile?
You are most fertile before your ovulation 12-14 days before your period starts.
Can a previous abortion affect my fertility?
Abortions wont affect your fertility but sometimes due to surgical procedure tissue scar deposited on your uterus which cause infection called Asherman’s syndromebut it can be removed by surgery so fertility may be improved.
Does couple fertility always depend only on a woman?
Male fertility also depends on healthy conception. 35% of infertility is due to man which include low sperm count and mobility, varicocele, infections, endocrine disorders, cryptorchism.
Are humans becoming more infertile?
According to research the chemicals in plastic are responsible for environmental pollution and also affect fertility and it is predicted by 2045 that humans will become completely infertile.
Is plastic changing our DNA?
Research carried out on a worm C-elegans has shown that chemical exposure leads to epigenetics changes that cause infertility in man and woman.
Does lipstick cause infertility?
If lipstick was made cheaply they carried out toxins which affect the reproductive system.
Does perfume affect fertility?
The chemicals in synthetic perfumes might disrupt hormone level so avoid synthetic perfumes.
Is PCOS the leading cause of infertility?
PCOS is one of the most common causes of female infertility that affecting 6% to 40% women of reproductive age